Sunday 2 September 2012

I put 'Sasha & Olga' on Kindle

I have just spend a couple of weeks converting 'Sasha & Olga' on to Kindle. A nightmare. The original PDF file that I got from the Publisher was so full of hidden commands, I nearly went mad. I had to reread the whole book- all 135K words of it. I was a bit nervous about reading it as it had been my first attempt at writing and I thought I would just want to change lots of things. I was pleasantly surprised. I hardly changed a thing as I thought it was really well written. Wow I was impressed by myself both a s a writer and as a person who had survived my childhood. There were many very painful bits, inspiring bits and funny bits. I went through about 3 boxes of tissues. What I realised was that there were many things I had resolved and the healing between my father and myself still rests as a beautiful rose in my heart. The book has sold about 4,000 copies, mostly in Australia and a week does not go by without someone in the world writing to me and thanking me for the book. It seems to hit people in many different ways. But I am now down to my last few hard copies so decided to put it on Kindle. Having reread it, I feel it has stood the test of time and deserves a wider readership, even if I say so myself. 'Sasha & Olga' was my first book and I found out at a late age that I love to write. I enjoyed researching and writing 'Butterflies & Demons' but had huge difficulty finding a publisher.(I was left 2 years on hold with one publisher who then cited economic downturn) So I gave up and wrote 'Russian Roulette 2020' which was great fun (published Solaris 2010) Now that I have mastered (sort of) Kindle I will self publish and put 'Butterflies & Demons' on Kindle. I feel that I owe it to the Aboriginal people of Australia. My latest book 'From Russia to Love' a biography of the violinist Viktoria Mullova is published by Robson Press on September 19th 2012 and available on Amazon. That is exciting. An article about it appeared in the Sunday Times today. I have so many more books in me and can't wait to get them out. I really am a late bloomer! I have also just rediscovered my blog. So may this be the first of many!

No comments:

Post a Comment